128-Slice CT Scan
The 128-Slice Computed Tomography (CT) scanner, the latest generation in a line of CT scanners, is revolutionizing non-invasive diagnosis. This machine can scan the whole body in seconds and provide incredibly sharp 3D images of any organ.
The new 128 slice scanner is changing the face of diagnosis. The scanner’s ability to quickly and non-invasively spot small tumors, in a check on the lungs for example, or plaque in the case of cardiovascular disease, is making it the preferred option for diagnosis by an increasing number of physicians.
128-Slice CT is now one of the most important methods of radiological diagnosis. It delivers non-superimposed, cross-sectional images of the body, which can show smaller contrast differences than conventional X-ray images. This allows better visualization of specific differently structured soft-tissue regions, for example, which could otherwise not be visualized satisfactorily.
The beating heart: The technology has been particularly exciting for studying the beating heart, providing the first clear non-invasive images of the heart and its major vessels. The scans can be timed to use only images gathered between contractions, so that the heart and its vessels can be seen without the blurring caused by motion.
This equipment can be used for cancer diagnosis and treatment. The speed and precision of this scanner not only improves the image quality, but also allows us to look at dynamic processes. Instead of just monitoring changes in tumor size, we can watch the perfusion of a contrast agent as it moves toward, around and through a tumor. This can provide an early view of how a patient is responding to therapy.
Advantages of 128 Slice CT Scan
- Works by using two X-ray sources simultaneously. Because of this engineering advancement, this extremely fast CT scanner can image cardiac patients with high or irregular heart rates without the need for beta-blockers (as well as patients with shortness of breath).
- Detect significant coronary artery disease noninvasively with high accuracy, revolutionalizing the treatment of the most common serious health problem in the developed world.
Applications of 128 Slice CT Scan Equipment
- 128 Slice CT Scan Equipment can detect common heart attack systems, including warning signs
- Chest discomfort
- Upper body pain
- Stomach pain
- Shortness of breath
- Light headedness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Breast Cancer
- Cervical Cancer
- Colon and Rectal Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Lung Cancer
Advantages of 128 Slice CT Scan Equipment
- Greater image clarity and resolution utilizing a unit possessing the most current CT scanning technology on the market.
- Faster exams that improve a patient comfort and the overall patient experience, especially when imaging the elderly, obese individuals, trauma patients and those individuals with cardiac and pulmonary disease.
- Automatic controls that reduce the amount of radiation received by a patient of any age, while allowing for the appropriate radiation dosage to produce quality images.
- Less contrast material being required for an exam, which is safer for the patient.
- Improved imaging of vascular structures, including the heart, coronary arteries and other anatomy.
- The scanner will be fully digitalized and the patient image/examination data will be fully integrated in the Hospital’s picture achieving communications system.
- The 128 slice CT scanner possesses the ability to provide CT angiography and CT cerebral perfusion imaging services.
- The use of 128 slice CT scanner to diagnose a patient with coronary heart disease can decrease unnecessary admissions to the Hospital and decrease the length of stay for those admitted to the hospital.
- The scanner will also allow the Hospital to better triage patients in the Emergency Department as well as reduce the number of unnecessary angiography studies.
- The use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is the current standard for early stroke detection. The use of the 128 slice scanner will improve the triage of stroke patients to proper therapy as quality diagnostic images can be rendered in less time.
- CT angiography and CT cerebral infusion imaging can be performed with the Scanner.
For More Information
Please call the Elkhart General Hospital Radiology Department at 574-523-7841.